Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sesame Bread - No Yeast!

As you can probably tell, I went on a crazy bread-making spree.

Problem: No fresh yeast, and the instant dry yeast was out of date. I really NEEDED to bake - call it a compulsion - and it HAD to be bread. So I googled "Soda Bread" and "Easy Bread No Yeast" and stumbled upon this wonderful recipe for the easiest bread ever, with room to add flavour and herbs and nuts of choice. Yay. :)

Recipe borrowed from


I tweaked around the recipe a bit, using what we had in the kitchen (because I was too lazy to go out and buy more)

1 1/2 cups refined flour (maida)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp black sesame seeds
3 tbsp white sesame seeds
2 cups club soda


Combine all the dry ingredients well, making sure the baking powder is well dispersed. Add the club soda - careful while measuring it out, don't let the fizz fool you into using less. Combine well, the dough will be sort of wet. Fold everything into a greased baking pan. Sprinkle extra sesame seeds on top. Bake at 200 Celsius until done (or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean).


My mother thought it had too much sesame.. But I loved it this way, with the flavour and nuttiness of the seeds being the primary hit of the bread. The recipe for the basic bread is quite standard - other flavours such as herbs and other seeds and nuts (flaxseed?) can be added too.

I did love this. Will make more and experiment with different flavours. Next time, I'll add salt. This bread is wonderful, toasted and slathered with butter. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment