Sunday, May 13, 2012

Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting


This recipe borrowed from:

I'm not a huge fan of coconut flavours.. But when I came across this recipe, I couldn't resist giving it a try. The addition of coconut milk to the batter really elevates it so beautifully.. And the frosting just adds to the coconut-tiness :)

For the cupcakes:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sweetened dessicated coconut

1. Preheat the oven to about 180 C
2. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and again, cream until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides to ensure even mixing.
3. Add the eggs, one at a team, and beat each one in thoroughly for 30 seconds each.
4. In one bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. In another, mix the coconut milk and vanilla.
5. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix, then add 1/2 of the wet ingredients. Keep alternating, ending with the dry ingredients. Stop beating as they incorporate - do NOT overbeat.
6. Fold in the coconut. Fill cupcake moulds halfway, and bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.





For the frosting:
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
8 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
1-2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup sweetened dessicated coconut

Cream the butter and cream cheese together for about 3 minutes. Slowly add the icing sugar, tasting as you go along to reach desired sweetness. Fold in the coconut. Pipe over cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle extra shredded coconut on top and serve.




Love at first try ;)

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hey I remember eating these! They were brilliant! Btw, where can I can dessicated coconut? I love coconut but I avoid recipes with it because I dunno where it is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm I got pre-packaged dessicated coconut from my local department store. I'll try and find out where else it might be available, but it shouldn't be hard to find! Ask somebody who commonly makes coconut barfi or mithais at home, maybe for festivals or something :) My neighbour told me about this.

      Delete